Welcome to Nutbourne.Org, a community website for the Sussex hamlet overlooking England's South Downs. The site was created by local people predominantly for local people, but everyone's welcome!
Please click a menu option
Please click a menu option Welcome, news and events in and around Nutbourne Please click a menu option Nutbourne Residents' Association, Neighbourhood Watch and Local Affairs Please click a menu option A thousand years of Nutbourne and Pulborough history Please click a menu option Visiting, shopping or just enjoying Nutbourne in picturesque West Sussex Please click a menu option Join in, contribute pictures and stories, get in touch or search the site Please click a menu option Contributor credits, information about the Nutbourne Residents Association, the Website and its publisher Please click a menu option

Shorts Farm, Nutbourne


Originally a thatched, stone building until it was destroyed by a catastophic fire, which occurred sometime between 1920 and 1946. It was repaired and where necessary re-built to the original specification, except that that the southern end was omitted. It retains much of its original charm. The surrounding walls are original, and consistent with other properties locally. The front approach remains unchanged. A thatched outbuilding, housing a well also remains.


In 2016 research undertaken by local historian Dr Annabel Hughes revealed evidence of a "windoor" connecting the sitting room to the hall. Despite extensive internal changes during the fire restoration, evidence of many features from before 1500 remain, exemplified by the windoor, which is illustrated later on this page.



Known as








Shorts Farm

Henry & Mary Comper  Farmers

Maria, Caroline & Mary daughters

Tithe map No.1671 & Census


Shorts Farm

Mr Albury

School Governor

c1960 - 1970

Shorts Farm

Alan & Vivienne White ,

Head of Methuen Publishers and brother ofMI5 /MI6 man who lived at  The White House near the Rising Sun. Data from Grandson Alistair

1970 - 2001

Shorts Farm

Longinotto & Prescetto family

Charley now Preccetto & Gill now Gordon

2002 - 2003

Shorts Farm

John & Jay Adams.


2003 -

Shorts Farm

Prescetto family

Pietro & Charley Prescetto

c2008 -

Shorts Farm

John and Sarah Browne nee Prescetto



Shorts farm c1910





Photograph circa 1910


Shorts Farm 2004





Photograph 2004


Shorts thatch 2004








The outbuilding over the well being thatched in 2004


Shorts Farm Windoor evidence





The evidence of a medieval “windoor” a lintel beam connecting the sitting room to the hall. The position may have changed during the renovation after the fire.


Shorts Farm




Photo 2016 showing the rebuild of 2011 over the footprint of the earlier thatched farmhouse shown above.



© Copyright Nutbourne Residents Association and friends, 2016.